Indian National Congress (INC) is the most important topic in General Knowledge for all competitive examinations. So here we provide all information about Indian National Congress(INC), its session, and President list, which are helpful to Aspirants for all competitive examination like Railway NTPC, Group-D, Banking, SSC, UPSC, state PSU, etc.
Other important General Knowledge for all competitive examinations are:-
- List of International Boundary Lines of Major Countries
- Complete List of Important Wars in Indian History/ Battles
- Books and Authors
- 275+ CEO List Of Top Companies-2021
- A to Z Computer Full Form
Indian National Congress (INC):
- Before the birth of congress, a number of the organization were formed but most of them had limited objectives and their influence remained confined to their respective regions.
- This led to the development of some basic needs and objectives before the leaders. It was said that the Indians needed to be welded together for their political advancements.
- It was Allan Octavian Hume(an Englishman and a retired civil servant), who embarked on an endeavor to start an organization of select alumni of the University of Calcutta in 1883. By May 1885, he was able to secure the Viceroy’s approval to create an “Indian National Union” which would be affiliated with the Government and act as a platform to voice the opinion of the Indian public.
- At the time of General Elections in Britain in 1885, A.O. Hume published an ‘Appeal from the People of India to the electors of Great Britain and Ireland. This appeal asked the British voters to support the candidates who were sympathetic to the Indian public opinions.
- However, there was no substantial result of this appeal. The major issues raised by these people were Concern about spending Indian taxpayer’s money on British Indian campaigns in Afghanistan; Legislative reforms on India for greater participation of the Indian people; and Increased pressure on India by the annexation of Burma.
- Hume’s main purpose was probably to provide a “safety valve” to the growing discontent among the educated Indians.
About Indian National Congress (INC):
- The first session of the Indian National Congress(INC) in Bombay at Gokul Das Tejpal Sanskrit College under W.C. Banerjee (with A.O. Hume as General Secretary) in 1885 with 72 delegates attended it.
- The first meeting was scheduled to be held in Poona, but due to a plague outbreak there, the meeting was shifted to Bombay almost at the eleventh hour.
- The earlier name Indian National Union, which was suggested by Hume, was changed to Indian National Congress, on the advice of Dadabhai Naoroji (term Congress taken from the history of North America).
- The National Conference in. 1883, decided to invite prominent public men and associations to discuss questions on the general concern.
- Indian National Union 1884, by A.O Hume. The National Conference and the Indian National Union merged to form the Indian National Congress in 1885.
- The first meeting of INC was organized by AO Hume at Gokuldas Tejpal Sanskrit College on 28th December 1885 in Bombay.
- AO Hume was a retired British Civil Servant. It was presided over by Womesh Chandra Bannerjee and attended by 72 delegates.
- It was the first organized expression of the Indian National Movement on an all-India scale. In 1886, the number of delegates to Congress became 436.
- The venue of the first meeting was changed from Pune to Bombay due to the outbreak of cholera in Pune. Kadambini Ganguly was the first woman graduate of Calcutta University to address the Congress Session in 1889.
- Safety Valve Theory British historians argue that Hume’s main purpose was to 5 provide a safety valve to the growing discontent among the educated Indians.
- Opposition to Congress By Syed Ahmed Khan, Raja Shiva Prasad of Banaras, and Lord Dufferin (then Viceroy).
- Indian National Congress (INC) was founded in the year 1885. it was founded by Allan Octavian Hume. The first session of the Indian National Congress was held in Mumbai in 1885.
Important Points of INC:
- The Indian National Congress founded by A.O. Hume in 1885.
- The First woman president of the Indian National Congress was Annie Besant.
- The first Indian woman who became the president of the Indian National Congress was Sarojini Naidu.
- The first Muslim President of the Indian National Congress was Badruddin Tyyabji.
- The president of the Indian National Congress at the time of independence J B Kriplani.
- Jana Gana Mana (National Anthem) was first sung in the Indian National Congress session at Calcutta in 1911.
- The first Englishmen to become the president of the Indian National Congress was George Yule.
- Only one time Mahatma Gandhi became the president of the Indian National Congress.
- The first session of the Indian National Congress was held at Mumbai in 1885.
- The youngest president of the Indian National Congress was Abul Kalam Azad.
- National Song, Vande Mataram was first sung in the Calcutta session in1896.
- The only session of the Indian National Congress presided over by Mahatma Gandhi –Belgaum (1924)
The list of presidents of the Indian National Congress(INC) are:-
|Year||Session||Place||Name of President|
|1885||1st||Bombay||Woomesh Chandra Bonnerjee|
|1886||2nd||Calcutta||Shri Dadabhai Naoroji|
|1889||5th||Bombay||Sir William Wedderburn|
|1890||6th||Calcutta||Sir Phirozshah Mehta|
|1891||7th||Nagpur||P. Anand Charlu|
|1892||8th||Allahabad||W. C. Bonerjee|
|1893||9th||Lahore||Shri Dadabhai Naoroji|
|1896||12th||Calcutta||Rahimtulla M Sayani|
|1897||13th||Amravati||Sir C. Sankaran Nair|
|1898||14th||Madras||Ananda Mohan Bose|
|1899||15th||Lucknow||Romesh Chunder Dutt|
|1900||16th||Lahore||N. G. Chandavarkar|
|1901||17th||Calcutta||Dinshaw Eduljee Wacha|
|1903||19th||Madras||Lal Mohan Ghosh|
|1904||20th||Bombay||Sir Henry Cotton|
|1905||21st||Banaras||Gopal Krishna Gokhala|
|1906||22nd||Calcutta||Shri Dadabhai Naoroji|
|1907||23rd (suspended)||Surat||Dr. Rash Behari Ghosh|
|1908||23rd||Madras||Dr. Rash Behari Ghosh|
|1909||24th||Lahore||Madan Mohan Malaviya|
|1910||25th||Allahabad||Sir William Wedderbum|
|1911||26th||Calcutta||Bishan Narayan Dhar|
|1912||27th||Patna||Rao Bahadur Raghunath Narasinha Mudholkar|
|1913||28th||Karachi||Nawab Syed Mohammad Bahadur|
|1914||29th||Madras||Bhupendra Nath Bose|
|1915||30th||Bombay||Satyendra Prasanna Sinha|
|1916||31st||Lucknow||Ambica Charan Mazumdar|
|1917||32nd||Calcutta||Mrs. Annie Besant|
|1918||Special session||Bombay||Sayed Hassan Imam (Special Session)|
|1918||33rd||Delhi||Madan Mohan Malaviya (Annual Session )|
|1920||Suspended||Calcutta||Lala Lajpat Rai|
|1921||36th||Allahabad||Deshbandhu Chittaranjan Das (In Prison),
Hakim Ajmal Khan (Acting)
|1922||37th||Gaya||Deshbandhu Chittaranjan Das|
|1923||suspended||Delhi||Maulana Abul Kalam Azad|
|1923||38th||Kakinada||Mohammad Ali Jouhar|
|1924||39th||Belgaum||Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi|
|1925||40th||Kanpur||Mrs. Sarojini Naidu|
|1926||41st||Guwahati||S. Srinivasa Iyengar|
|1927||42nd||Madras||Dr. Mohammad Ali Ansari|
|1929||44th||Lahore||Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru|
|1930||——||Lahore||No session due to Civil Disobedience Movement|
|1931||45th||Karachi||Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel|
|1932||46th||Delhi||Ranchod Lal Amrit Lal|
|1933||47th||Calcutta||Mrs. Nellie Sengupta|
|1934||48th||Bombay||Dr. Rajendra Prasad|
|1935||—–||Lucknow||Dr. Rajendra Prasad|
|1936||49th||Lucknow||Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru|
|1937||50th||Faizpur||Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru|
|1938||51st||Haripura||Subhash Chandra Bose|
|1939||52nd||Tripura||Subhash Chandra Bose (resigned).
Later Rajendra Prasad was appointed.
|1940-1946||53th||Ramgarh||Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad|
|1946-1947||54th||Meerut||J. B. Kripalani|
|1950||56th||Nasik||Purushotam Das Tandon|
|1951||57th||Delhi||Pt Jawaharlal Nehru|
|1953||58th||Hyderabad||Pt Jawaharlal Nehru|
|1954||59th||Kalyan||Pt Jawaharlal Nehru|
|1955||60th||Avadi, Madras||Shri U.N. Dhebar|
|1956||61st||Amritsar||Shri U.N. Dhebar|
|1957||62nd||Indone||Shri U.N. Dhebar|
|1958||63rd||Pragyotishpur, Gauhati||Shri U.N. Dhebar|
|1959||64th||Nagpur||Shri U.N. Dhebar|
|1962||67th||New Delhi||N.Sanjiva Reddy|
|1970||————–||New Delhi||Dr. Jagjivan Ram|
|1971||73rd||Bombay||Dr. Jagjivan Ram|
|1972||74th||Calcutta||Shankar Dayal Sharma|
|1976||———–||New Delhi||Brahmananda Reddy|
|1978||76th||New Delhi||Indira Gandhi|
|1984||———–||New Delhi||Rajiv Gandhi|
|1991||—–||New Delhi||P.V. Narasimha Rao|
|1992||79th||Tirupati (A.P.)||P.V. Narasimha Rao|
|1993||Chintan Shivir||Surajkund (Haryana)||P.V. Narasimha Rao|
|1994||Chintan Shivir||New Delhi||P.V. Narasimha Rao|
|1995||Chintan Shivir||New Delhi||Smt. Sonia Gandhi|
|1998||Special session||New Delhi||Smt.Sonia Gandhi|
|1998||Chintan Shivir||Panchmarhi (M.P.)||Smt.Sonia Gandhi|
|1998||Special Session||New Delhi||Smt.Sonia Gandhi|
|2003||Chintan Shivir||Shimla (H.P.)||Smt.Sonia Gandhi|
|2004||Special Session||New Delhi||Smt.Sonia Gandhi|
|2010||83rd planary session||New Delhi||Smt.Sonia Gandhi|
|2013||Chintan Shivir||Jaipur||Smt.Sonia Gandhi|
|New Delhi||Shri Rahul Gandhi|
FAQ on Indian National Congress(INC)
who founded the Indian National Congress (INC)?
Ans-An Englishman and a retired civil servant Allan Octavian Hume founded the Indian National Congress (INC) in 1885.
Q Where was the Indian National Congress first session organized?
Ans- The first session of the Indian National Congress(INC) in Bombay at Gokul Das Tejpal Sanskrit College under W.C. Banerjee with 72 delegates.
Q who was the first president of the Indian National Congress (INC)?
Ans- Woomesh Chandra Bonnerjee was the first president of the Indian National Congress (INC).
Q who was the first female president of the Indian National Congress (INC)?
Ans- Mrs. Annie Besant was the first president of the Indian National Congress (INC).