Dear Readers, in this article I provide details of the Saraswati Samman and also the Saraswati Samman winners list with book or novel literature in different languages.
About Saraswati Samman:
- The Saraswati Samman is an annual award for outstanding prose or poetry literacy works in any Indian language (22 languages) listed in Schedule VII of the Constitution of India.
- The Saraswati Samman was instituted by the KK Birla foundation in 1991.
- Initially, this award consists of Rs. 10 Lakh, a citation, and a plaque. Now the prize money rises to Rs. 15 lakh.
- It is named after an Indian goddess of knowledge Maa Saraswati.
- For winners of Saraswati Samman, Candidates are selected from literary works published in the previous ten(10) years by a panel that included scholars and former award winners.
- The first award was given toHarivansh Rai Bachchan for his four-volume autobiography, Kya Bhooloon Kya Yaad Karoon, Needa Ka Nirman Phir, Basere Se Door, and Dashdwar se Sopan Tak.
Till now there are 30 awardees was awarded in Saraswati Samman for their work in different languages. Most Recently Marathi writer “Sharankumar Limbale” awarded Saraswati Samman for 2020 for his Novel “Sanatan” in Marathi.
Saraswati Samman Winners List (1991-2021)are:-
|2020||Sharankumar Limbale||“Sanatan” (Novel)||Marathi|
|2019||Vasdev Mohi||“Chequebook” (Short Story Series)||Sindhi|
|2018||K Siva Reddy||“Pakkaki Ottigilite” (Poetry)||Telugu|
|2017||Sitanshu Yashaschandra||“Vakhar”(Poetry collection)||Gujarati|
|2015||Padma Sachdev||“Chitt Chete”(Autobiography)||Dogri|
|2014||Veerappa Moily||“Ramayana Mahanveshanam”
|2013||Govind Mishra||“Dhool Paudho Par”(Novel)||Hindi|
|2011||A. A. Manavalan||“Irama Kathaiyum Iramayakalum”||Tamil|
|2010||S. L. Bhyrappa||“Mandra”||Kannada|
|2009||Surjit Paatar||“Lafzan Di Dargah”||Punjabi|
|2008||Lakshmi Nandan Bora||“Kayakalpa”(Novel)||Assamese|
|2007||Naiyer Masud||“Taoos Chaman Ki Myna”(Short stories collection)||Urdu|
|2006||Jagannath Prasad Das||“Parikrama”(Poetry collection)||Oriya|
|2005||K. Ayyappa Panicker||“Ayyappa Panikarude Kritikal”(Poetry collection)||Malayalam|
|2004||Sunil Gangopadhyay||“Pratham Alo”(Novel)||Bengali|
|2003||Govind Chandra Pande||“Bhagirathi”(Poetry collection)||Sanskrit|
|2001||Dalip Kaur Tiwana||“Katha Kaho Urvashi”(Novel)||Punjabi|
|2000||Manoj Das||“Amruta Phala”(Novel)||Oriya|
|1998||Shankha Ghosh||“Gandharba Kabita Guccha”(Poetry collection)||Bengali|
|1996||Shamsur Rahman Faruqi||“She r e Shor Angez”||Urdu|
|1995||Balamani Amma||“Nivedyam”(Poetry collection)||Malayalam|
|1994||Harbhajan Singh||“Rukh Te Rishi”(Poetry collection)||Punjabi|
|1992||Ramakant Rath||“Sri Radha”(Poetry)||Odia|
|1991||Harivansh Rai Bachchan||“Kya Bhooloon KyaYaad Karoon”,
“Needa Ka Nirman Phir”,
“Basere Se Door” and
“Dashdwar se Sopan Tak”.
(Autobiography in four volumes)
Other important Awards are:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q.Who won the 2020 Saraswati Samman?
Ans-Marathi witter Sharankumar Limbale won Saraswati Samman in 2020 for his book Sanatan.
Q.Who was awarded the first Saraswati Samman?
Ans- The first Saraswati Samman was given to Harivansh Rai Bachchan for his autobiography.