Dear Aspirants, Here we provide Quick Points of Monthly Current Affairs of May 2020. May Monthly Current Affairs 2020 covers Important Days with their Theme, New Appointments, Summit and Conference, Awards & Honors, Books with Author, Apps, and Portals, Sports, MoU and Agreement, Ranking and Index, important Scheme, Scheme, Programme & Campaign, Banking & Finance News, Science and Technology, Miscellaneous news, and Obituaries, etc in details. These are collected from all newspapers and the Internet. It helps aspirants for SSC, Railway NTPC, Group D, RRB JE, Banking, State PSU & for all competitive exams
Important Day & Date with Theme
|Date||Day with Theme|
|1st May||International Labour Day|
|2nd May||World Tuna Day|
|1st Sunday||International Dawn Chorus Day|
|3rd May||World Press Freedom Day.
Theme: “Journalism without Fear or Favour”.
|4th May||Coal Miners Day|
|4th May||International Firefighters Day|
|5th May||International Day of the Midwife.
Theme: “Midwives with women: celebrate, demonstrate, mobilise, unite-our time is NOW!”.
|5th May||World Hand Hygiene Day .
Theme:-”Save Lives: Clean Your Hands”.
|First Tuesday||World Asthma Day.
Theme:-”Enough Asthma Death”
|6th May||International No Diet Day|
|7th May||World Athletics Day.
Theme:- “Athletics for a Better World”.
|8th May||World Red Cross Day.|
|8th May (2nd Saturday)||World Migratory Bird Day.
Theme:- “Birds Connect Our World”.
Celebrated twice a year, on the 2nd Saturday in May and in October.
|8th May||World Thalassaemia Day.
Theme: “The dawning of a new era for thalassaemia: Time for a global effort to make novel therapies accessible and affordable to patients”.
|9th May||World Migratory Bird Day.
Theme: “Birds Connect Our World”.
|9th May(2nd Sunday)||Mothers Day|
|11 May||National Technology Day|
|12 May||International Nurses Day.
Theme:- “Nurses: A voice to lead Nursing the World to Health”.
|15 May||International Family Day.
Theme:- “Families in Development: Copenhagen & Beijing + 25”
|3rd Friday||National Endangered Species Day|
|16 May||International Day of Light|
|16 May||National Dengue Day|
|16 May||International Day of Living Together in Peace|
|17 May||World Hypertension Day.
Theme:- “Measure Your Blood Pressure, Control It, Live Longer.”
|17 May||World Telecommunication Day.
Theme:- “Connect 2030: ICTs for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)”.
|18 May||World AIDS Vaccine Day|
|18th May||International Museum Day.
Theme:- ”Museums for Equality: Diversity and Inclusion”.
|20th May||World Meteorology Day.
Theme:- ”Measurements for Global Trade”.
|20th May||World Bee Day .
Theme:- “Bee Engaged” “Save the Bees”
|21st May||National Anti-terrorism Day|
|21st May||International Tea Day (1st )|
|22nd May||World Biodiversity Day.
Theme:- “Our solutions are in nature.”
|23th May||World Turtle Day|
|23th May||International Day to End Obstetric Fistula.
Theme : “End gender inequality! End health inequities! End Fistula now!”
|24th May||International Commonwealth Day|
|25th May||World Thyroid day|
|25th May||International Missing Children’s Day|
|28th May||World Hunger Day|
|28th May||International Day of Action for Women’s Health|
|29th May||International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers. Theme :-“Women in Peacekeeping- A Key to Peace”|
|29th May||World Digestive Health Day.
Theme:- “Gut Microbiome- A Global Perspective.”
|29th May||International Everest Day|
|30th May||Hindi Journalism Day|
|31st May||World No Tobacco Day|
Students Disha Current Affairs 2020: Appointments
|Name of the Person||Designation|
|Abhas Jha||Practice Manager of World Bank for Climate Change|
|Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury||Chairperson Parliament’s public accounts committee (PAC), reappointed|
|Aiman Ezzat||CEO of Capgemini Group.
He will Replace Paul Hermelin
|Ajay Tirkey||Secretary of Ministry of Women and Child Development WCD Ministry|
|Ajinkya Rahane||Brand Ambassador for edtech company ELSA Corp(English Language Speech Assistant Corporation)|
|Akhil Kumar(Indian boxer)||Re-inducted Disciplinary Panel of National Anti Doping Agency’s (NADA).|
|Anil Bhansali||VP Engineering in India of Google Cloud|
|Anita Kotwani||CEO of Carat India, a media agency|
|Arvind Kumar Sharma||Secretary to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises MSME Ministry|
|Arun Singhal||CEO of India’s apex food regulator Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).|
|Ashok Michael Pinto (Indian American lawyer)||US representative to International Bank for Reconstruction and Development IBRD|
|Atsushi Ogata||President, MD and CEO of Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (HMSI)|
|Benjamin Netanyahu||Prime Minister of Israel (5th time)|
|Carmen Reinhart||Vice President and Chief Economist of World Bank Group|
|DPS Negi||Director-General of Labour Bureau in the Ministry of Labour and Employment. Replaces BN Nandha.|
|Dilip Oommen||President of the Indian Steel Association(ISA). He will replace TV Narendran.|
|Dr Harsh Vardhan||Chairma of World Health Organization (WHO) Executive Board.
He will replace Dr. Hiroki Nakatani of Japan
|Giridhar Aramane||Secretary to the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways|
|Govinda Rajulu Chintala||Chairman of NABARD.
Replace Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala
|Indu Shekhar Chaturvedi||Secretary of MNRE(Ministry of New and Renewable Energy).
He succeeds Anand Kumar, who earlier took charge as Secretary in Ministry of Culture
|Jacqueline d’Arros Hughes||Director-General of International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT)|
|Jahnabi Phookan||National President of FICCI Ladies Organization (FLO)|
|Keva Bain of Bahamas||President of the World Health Assembly|
|Krishnan Ramachandran||MD & CEO of Max Bupa Health Insurance.
He succeeds Ashish Mehrotra
|Kumar Sangakkara(first non British President)||President of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC)|
|Leo Puri||Chairman of JP Morgan South Asia and South East Asia|
|Lieutenant General Raj Shukla||Command of the Army Training Command (ARTRAC).|
|Manoj Ahuja||Chairman of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
Replace Anita Karwal
|Manoj Jain||chairman of the city gas distributor Mahanagar Gas Ltd|
|Marcos Troyjo||President of New Development Bank (NDB) ( from July 7, 2020).
Replace K. V Kamath
|Moeketsi Majoro||Prime Minister of Lesotho|
|Mustafa Al Kadhimi||Prime Minister of Iraq.|
|Narinder Batra||A member of the Olympic Channel Commission.|
|Narinder Batra||President of the International Hockey Federation (FIH).|
|Neeraj Dhawan||Chief Risk Officer of Yes Bank|
|PK Nair||Indian Ambassador to Niger.
He will replace Rajesh Agarwal
|PR Jaishankar||MD of the India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd (IIFCL)|
|R Sreelekha||Kerala’s First Woman DGP|
|Rahul Chhabra||Economic Relations Secretary|
|Rajesh Goel||Director General (DG) of the Realtors body National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO)|
|Ramesh Babu V||Director (Operations) of NTPC.|
|Saritha Komatireddy||Nominated by Trump as US federal court judge.|
|Sandip Pradhan||Director-General of the Sports Authority of India (SAI).|
|Shikha Sharma||Advisor of Google Pay India|
|Shri Indu Shekhar Chaturvedi||Secretary, Ministry of New & Renewable Energy.|
|SN Rajeswari||Chairman and MD of the Oriental Insurance Company (OIC).
Replace AV Girija Kumar
|Sriram Venkataraman||Chief financial officer (CFO) for the commerce division of Flipkart|
|Suresh K Reddy||India’s new ambassador to Brazil|
|Tarun Bajaj||Director on RBI Central Board.
He will replace Atanu Chakraborty
|Thierry Delaporte||CEO & MD of Wipro.
He will replace Abidali Neemuchwala
|TS Tirumurti||India’s New Permanent Representative to UN|
|V Vidyavathi||Director-General of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)|
|Zubair Iqbal||MD of Jammu & Kashmir Bank|
- Alibaba co-founder Jack Ma will be resigning from Soft Bank board of directors on June 25.
- Thomas Thabane Prime Minister of Lesotho has formally resigned
- WTO chief Roberto Azevedo resigns from the post. The head of the World Trade Organization, Roberto Azevedo will step down from his post on August 31.
Awards and Honours
|Award Name||Name of Person|
|2020 Pulitzer Prize||Indian journalists Dar Yasin, Mukhtar Khan, and Channi Anand|
|Alexander Dalrymple Award 2019, UK||Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar|
|Christophe Merieux Prize(France’s top science prizes)||Quarraisha Abdool Karim (South African HIV researcher)|
|‘coronavirus heroes’ in the US||Sravya Annappareddy
for donating cookies to doctors, nurses, and firefighters
|Deutsche Welle Freedom of Speech Award 2020||Journalist Siddharth Varadarajan|
|Deutsche Welle Freedom of Speech Award 2020||17 journalists from 14 countries. Indian journalist Siddharth Varadarajan is among the 17 recipients.|
|International Honorary Member to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences||Professor Shobhana Narasimhan|
|Nikkei Asia Prize 2020||IIT Madras Professor Thalappil Pradeep
(for his pioneering work in nanotechnology)
|Nikkei Asia Prizes 2020 in ‘Science and Technology’ category||IT Madras professor T Pradeep|
|NYIPLA Inventor of the year Award 2020 New York Intellectual Property Law Association (NYIPLA)||Rajiv Joshi|
|Order of Rising Sun by Japan||Thangjam Dhabali Singh
|Fed Cup Heart Award 2020 for Asia/Oceania zone||Sania Mirza|
|A Prominent Asian Award with the “40 Most Influential Asian Under 40”||Shrenik Ghodawat|
|SKYTRAX World Airport Awards 2020 for Best Regional Airport in India and Central Asia||The Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru|
|The Marcus Wallenberg Prize 2020||Joseph J Landsberg, Richard H Waring, and Nicholas C Coops|
|UN Military Gender Advocate of the Year Award (2019)||Suman Gawani
|V. Admiral G.M. Hiranandani Memorial Rolling Trophy 2020||Lieutenant Commander Akshay Kumar.|
|Young Career Award 2020
(in Nano Science And Technology)
|The Annual New Zealand Cricket Awards:|
|International Women’s ODI Player of the Year award||Suzie Bates|
|International Men’s ODI Player of the Year award||Kane Williamson|
|International Women’s T20 Player of the Year award||Sophie Devine|
|International men’s T20 Player of the Year award||Ross Taylor|
|Startup India Animal Husbandry Grand Challenge Awards|
|Value Added Products||Krushak Mitra Agro Services Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai|
|Eliminating Milk Adulteration||White Gold Technologies LLP, Mumbai|
|Product Traceability||Emer Tech Solutions Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai|
|E-commerce Solutions||MoooFarm, Gurugram, Haryana|
|Breed Improvement & Animal Nutrition||Adis Technologies, Belagavi, Karnataka|
Summit & Conference
- Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan participated in the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Health Ministers’ meeting through video conferencing. The meeting was chaired by the Health Minister of the Republic of Azerbaijan OgtayShiraliyev.
- 2nd Extraordinary G20 Virtual Trade and Investment Ministerial Meet was held under the presidency of Saudi Arabia. Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad represented from India in the virtual summit.
- Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) E-conclave was chaired by the Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh.
- Bamboo Conclave held via Video Conferencing to promote bamboo manufacturing and trade.
- The Army Commanders Conference of India has commenced in New Delhi.
- A seven-member committee has constituted by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) to examine the comments received on the consultation paper floated by it for enhancing audit independence and accountability in the country.
- Jitendra Singh, Union Minister for the Development of the North Eastern Region (DoNER), organised a Bamboo Conclave through video conference to discuss how the country’s bamboo reserve can help strengthen its economy.
- Tribal livelihoods and safety conference held with States/UTs in New Delhi through video conference which was held by the Shri Arjun Munda, Minister of Tribal Affairs.
- Technology Development Board (TDB) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) have jointly organised a Digital Conference “RE-START” (Reboot the Economy through Science, Technology and Research Translations)”.
- Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) organises Indo-Bangladesh “Virtual Conference”
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Foreign Ministers meet video conference to deliberate on cooperation to fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 32nd Commonwealth Health Ministers Meet held via Video Conference with a theme: Delivering a co-ordinated Commonwealth COVID-19 response. Dr. Harsh Vardhan participates from India.
- The 73rd session of the World Health Assembly held via video conferencing focused on a specific health agenda prepared by the Executive Board.
- The Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) Meeting (22nd) was chaired by the Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman in New Delhi.
Agreement & MoU
|Organization or Countries||Purpose|
|NTPC & ONGC||To set up JVC for Renewable Energy Business|
|India Post with Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)||For delivery of COVID19 testing kits to 200 labs in the country.|
|Flipkart with Karnataka Mango Board||To support mango farmers.|
|India & ADB||To improve the road in Maharashtra|
|Airtel Africa & UNICEF||To support children & families affected by COVID19|
|Government of India & the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)||To improve irrigation services in West Bengal|
|WHO & the International Olympic Committee (IOC)||To promote health through sport and physical activity.|
|The Directorate General Defence Estates (DGDE), Ministry of Defence and eGov Foundation||For Online Management of Cantonment Boards|
|Flipkart partners with Bajaj Allianz||To offer a digital motor insurance policy to Flipkart’s customers.|
|“Zaggle” with “Visa”||For innovative payment solutions for SMEs|
|The Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) with Hyderabad based Bharat Biotech International Ltd (BBIL)||
To develop a COVID19 vaccine
|National Restaurants Association of India (NRAI with fintech startup DotPe||
To build its own tech platform
|CSIR IGIB signs MoU with TATA Sons||For licensing KNOWHOW for FELUDA in order to execute a rapid diagnosis of COVID19.|
|India with Russia||For coking coal.|
|PNB Housing Finance with IIT Delhi||For reusable Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to be supplied to government hospitals.|
|Defence Ministry with Tata Power||To modernise 37 Airfields of Indian Air Force|
|Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) with Art Of Living(AOL)||To promote tribal enterprises|
|IIT Kanpur & Bharat Dynamics Limited ink pact||To make affordable ventilators developed by NOCCA Robotics|
|The TVS group, Sundaram Medical Foundation, and IIT Madras||Jointly developed a low cost, automated respiratory assist device called the Sundaram Ventago|
|IIT Hyderabad Partners With Hong Kong Financial Capital Firm||To establish a global network for & To Create Venture Ecosystem.|
|Facebook and Bollywood||home to home fundraiser concert, ‘I For India’.|
|Federal Bank with MoneyGram Payment||For direct to bank deposits service in India.|
BOOKS & Authors
|“The Ickabog”||JK Rowling|
|“Prof. B.B. Lal: India Rediscovered” e-book||Released by Union Culture Minister Prahlad Singh Patel.|
|‘COVID Katha’ multimedia guide||Launched by Dr Harsh Vardhan|
|‘Vijyant at Kargil: The Life of a Kargil Hero’.
Biography of Captain Vijyant Thapar
|Vijyant’s father Colonel VN Thapar and writer Neha Dwivedi|
|The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir||John Bolton.
It is published by Simon & Schuster
|Shivaji in South Block: The Unwritten History of a Proud People||Girish Kuber|
|“Fear of God”||Vadhan
His real name is Bommadevara Sai Chandravadhan
|“Wuhan Diary: Dispatches from a Quarantined City”||Fang Fang|
|“Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes”
Ranking and Index
|Index||India’s Rank||Top Rank||Index released by|
|Global Energy Transition Index||74th||Sweden||World Economic Forum (WEF)|
|ICC Test rankings||3rd||Australia||International cricket council|
Apps and Portals
- Union Minister for Electronics and IT, Law and Justice and Communications, Ravi Shankar Prasad has launched the National “Artificial Intelligence Portal” of India called “ai.gov.in” or sharing of resources
- Facebook launches the calling application “CatchUp”.
- Union Ministry of MSME launched portal “CHAMPIONS”(Creation and Harmonious Application of Modern Processes for Increasing the Output and National Strength).
- JJ Tax App a chat-based tax app launched by Aspiring chartered accountants Mehak Malik and Leesha Arya teamed to offering real-time solutions by tax experts.
- “Swagatam- Gateway to visit Government”, application software was launched in Dibrugarh by Deputy Commissioner Pallav Gopal Jha, to facilitate the process of making an appointment to meet the Deputy Commissioner for the common man of the district.
- A web portal http://jkmonitoring.nic.in launched by Jammu & Kashmir Government to facilitate its residents stranded in other parts of the country.
- Uttarakhand CM launches portal ‘HOPE’ – Helping Out People Everywhere to help unemployed youth get jobs as well as offering them skill development opportunities to increase their employability.
- Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises, MSME Minister Nitin Gadkari launched bank of schemes, ideas, innovation, and Research portal http://ideas.msme.gov.in on MSMEs. The portal gives access to all schemes of Union, States, and Union Territory Governments and has the provision for uploading ideas, innovations, and researches in the sector.
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has launched Kisan Sabha App to connect farmers to supply chain and freight transportation Management systems.
- Two voice-based applications launched by BharatPe that will help accountholders access transactions and balance without having to touch their phones amid the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Mobile App “National Test Abhyas” launched by Union HRD Ministry to help the candidates to take mock tests for exams such as JEE Mains, NEET, etc
- Aarogya Setu Launches Mitr Telemedicine Portal For Consultations.
- Yogi Adityanath launches ‘Pravasi Raahat Mitra’ App for migrant workers.
- Union HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launches Central University of Odisha helpline ‘Bharosa’ to help students in distress .its helpline number 08046801010.
- Swachhata MOHUA app is a highly popular grievance redressal tool for citizens to better city management.
- Yogi Adityanath launched the ‘AyushKavach-Covid’ app to help people get health remedies that can be useful in the fight against COVID-19.
- Civil Aviation Ministry and DGCA have launched the GARUD (Government Authorisation for Relief Using Drones) portal for providing fast track approval to COVID-19 related drone operations
- Union HRD Minister launches AI-powered mobile app ‘National Test Abhyas’ for mock tests for JEE Main, NEET 2020.
- E-Commerce Platform ‘OrderMe’ launched to Supply Swadeshi Goods by Baba Ramdev and Patanjali Ayurved.
Scheme, Programme & Campaign
- J&K launches an initiative “SUKOON – COVID-19 Beat the Stress” programme to spread awareness about the psychological impact of lockdown
- West Bengal government launches ‘Matir Smristi’ scheme helps to generate income activities in horticulture and pisciculture involving the locals to utilise 50,000 acres of barren land in 6 districts.
- “Rajiv Gandhi Kisaan Nyay Yojana” launched by the Chhattisgarh government to stimulate the rural economy in the state.
- LIC launches “PM Vaya Vandana Yojana” for senior citizens.
- ‘FIR Aapke Dwar’ Yojana launched by Madhya Pradesh government in Bhopal in 23 Police Stations including one urban and one rural Police Station at 11 Divisional Headquarters.
- Ravi Shankar Prasad launches program “Responsible AI for Youth” to empower the youth of India with appropriate new age tech mindset hence making them digitally ready for the future
- Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike, Karnataka launched a programme “Pranavayu” to create awareness on the need to self examine respiratory health.
- In Maharashtra “Mee Annapurna” initiative launched by an IRDA.
- In the tribal-dominated Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh “Didi Vehicle Service” launched by the women of Rural Livelihood Mission for the safe delivery.
- A programme “GOAL (Going Online As Leaders)” launched by the Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Shri Arjun Munda for Digital Skilling of Tribal Youth.
- “Atmanirbhar Gujarat Sahay Yojana” launched by the Gujarat Government to provide an interest subsidy, a moratorium as well as a collateral-free loan of up to Rs 1 lakh.
- For migrant laborers, Charan Paduka campaign launched in Madhya Pradesh.
- Madhya Pradesh launches ‘Rozgar Setu’ scheme for skilled workers who have returned.
- Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will inaugurate the ‘Everybody will get employment’ scheme through video conferencing. MNREGA job cards will be distributed to the laborers Under this scheme.
- Uttarakhand launches Mukhyamantri Swarozgar Yojana for returnee migrants.
- Union HRD Minister launched Helpline “Bharosa”. All University Students of Odisha will be offered Cognitive Emotional Rehabilitation Services via this helpline.
- Bengaluru launches Pranavayuprogramme to create awareness on the need to self examine respiratory health.
- Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Dr. Narottam Mishra launched the country’s first-ever ‘FIR Aapke Dwar Yojana’ in Bhopal. Madhya Pradesh is the first state in the country to implement such an innovative scheme.
- Madhya Pradesh government will bear the education expenses of children from poor families under the Sambal scheme. The state will pay for the children’s education from Class 1 to PhD
- Maharashtra government launches online OPD services called e-Sanjivani OPD (Out Patient Department) to resolve difficulties faced by citizens in getting health check-ups and counseling as many private clinics during the lockdown.
- The West Bengal government launched a scheme ‘Matir Smristi’ to utilise50,000 acres of barren land in six districts for income-generating activities like horticulture and pisciculture.
- Gujarat CM announces Aatmanirbhar Gujarat Sahay Yojana for small shop keepers and self-employed hit by the lockdown. Under the scheme, one lakh rupees collateral-free loan will be given at two percent for the beneficiaries for three years.
- Delhi Police Commissioner launches initiative Ayuraksha- ‘Corona se Jung – Delhi Police ke sang’ joint initiative by Delhi Police and All India Institute of Ayurveda, Ministry of AYUSH. The Ayurveda institute will maintain the health of front line COVID warriors like Delhi Police personnel through Ayurveda Immunity boosting measures. It will be implemented in a phase-wise manner.
- Sikkim CM launches the sikkimgovtfeedback.org portal to gather public feedback and suggestions on government schemes
- IDEAthon launched by Jal Shakti ministry & National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) organized an IDEAthon on “The future of River Management’ to explore how the COVID-19 crisis can shape River Management strategies for the future
- Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan launches multimedia guide ‘COVID Katha’ on the Covid-19 disease
- NITI Aayog starts the campaign ‘Surakshit Dada-Dadi& Nana-NaniAbhiyan’ to protect senior citizens during COVID-19.
- A programme “Mukhya Mantri Shahari Rojgar Guarantee Yojna” launched by the Himachal Pradesh government guaranteeing at least 120 days’ employment to those living in urban areas.
- Under the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, the Jharkhand government launched three schemes to “revive the rural economy”, affected by the lockdown in view of COVID-19 pandemic. The three schemes are Birsa Harit Gram Yojana for rural plantations, Neelambar Pitambar JAL Sammridhi Yojana for water conservation, and the Poto Ho Khel Vikas Scheme for making playgrounds.
- Government of Himachal Pradesh launch “Nigah” app to aware of family members of migrant returnees.
- National Council for Science & Technology Communication (NCSTC) and Department of Science & Technology (DST) launches “YASH”( ‘Year of Awareness on Science & Health) to fight against COVID-19.
- A loan scheme “Vikas Abhaya” launched by Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank(KVGB) to provide some relief to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise(MSME) borrowers.
- A joint programme was organised by All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA), under Ministry of AYUSH, and Delhi Police, with a title AYURAKSHA “Corona Se Jung: Delhi Police Ke Sang”.
- “Kisan Sabha App” launched by CSIR (Central Road Research Institute) to connect farmers to supply chain and freight transportation on the management system.
- An e-Marketplace portal “The Saras Collection” has been launched by Narendra Singh Tomar, the Union Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj and Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare.
- Himachal Pradesh govt to starts “Mukhya Mantri Shahari Rojgar Guarantee Yojna”
- Operation “Samudra Setu” launched by the Indian Navy.
- The West Bengal government launched an “Exit App” for people from other states who are stuck in West Bengal during the lockdown and desire to return to their native place.
- Chandigarh launched “CHDCOVID” app to provide COVID-19 information.
- National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi has presented a virtual program “NGMA KE SANGRAH SE”.
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Alumni Council has launched a “COVID-19 test bus” in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- NITI Aayog launches ‘Surakshit Dada-Dadi & Nana-Nani Abhiyan’ campaign to protect senior citizens during COVID-19
- Ministry of Coal (MoC) launched a Project Monitoring Unit (PMU) for timely operationalisation of coal mines.
- Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) is going to launch a National e-commerce marketplace ‘Bharat market’. to integrate 95% of retail traders onboard the national platform.
- “#HumHaarNahiMaanenge” song released by HDFC Bank HDFC Bank has released a song titled #HumHaarNahiMaanenge to keep hopes up amidst the ongoing national lockdown and Covid-19 pandemic
- Uttar Pradesh government has launched ‘Ayush Kavach-COVID’ app to help people get health remedies
- Himachal Pradesh state government plans to launch a new programme ‘Nigah’. educate the family members of the people coming to the state from other parts of the country.
- The Government of India has launched “Vande Bharat Mission” exercise to bring Indians from abroad
- Uttar Pradesh government has launched a “Pravasi Raahat Mitra” App to connect migrants with schemes and jobs
- Union Ministry of Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) has launched the CHAMPIONS portal, a technology-driven Control Room-Cum-Management Information System, for addressing the grievances of smaller units in the country.
- The government of India sets up the “Rice Export Promotion Forum (REPF)” to provide stimulus to the rice exports.
- “Mission Sagar” started by India to assist island nations in the Eastern Indian Ocean Region. Under this mission, Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kesari has been deployed, carrying on board two medical assistance teams, essential Food Items and COVID related Medicines and Special Ayurvedic Medicines to five Island countries in the Indian Ocean namely Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Comoros.
- Aritz Aduriz football player of Spanish announces retirement.
- American tennis player Jamie Hampton announces retirement.
- Naomi Osaka Japanese tennis player becomes the world’s highest-paid female athlete.
- US tennis star Jamie Hampton announces retirement.
- Shehan Madushanka, Sri Lankan bowler suspended from all forms of cricket with immediate effect for alleged possession of heroin.
- Two Indian Powerlifters Savita Kumari & Ankit Shishodia provisionally suspended by the National Anti Doping Agency (NADA) for violating anti-doping rules.
- The Bundesliga primary football league of Germany becomes the world’s first major sports event to resume after COVID-19 lockdown. The European Football League’s remaining matches from the 2019-20 season kick-started from May 16, 2020
- The International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Cricket Committee set to ban the use of saliva to shine ball due to the threats of COVID-19.
- Narinder Batra to serve as the President of the International Hockey Federation has been extended until May 2021.
- Deepa Malik, Para-athlete announces retirement from Paralympics games.
- Federation Internationale de Football Association(FIFA) launches the #WeWillWin campaign to pay tribute to health workers.
- Peter Ebdon announces his retirement from professional snooker due to various neck and back injuries.
- Australia abolishes the use of saliva & sweat to shine the ball under COVID-19 guidelines.
- Egypt’s tennis player Youssef Hossam gets a lifetime ban from TIU The Tennis Integrity Unit has banned Egypt’s tennis player Youssef Hossam from professional tennis for life.
- Swimming world governing body, Federation Internationale de Natation(FINA) postpones 2021 world championships to 13-29 May 2022.
- World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has banned Indian discus thrower Sandeep Kumari for 4 years after failing a drug test.
- Badminton World Championships 2020 postponed to November 2021. The tournament will be held at the Carolina Marin Stadium in Huelva, Spain.
- Indian tennis star Sania Mirza became the first Indian to be nominated for the Fed Cup Heart Award from the Asia/Oceania zone along with Indonesia’s Priska Medelyn Nugrorho.
- FC Goa appointed Spaniard Juan Ferrando as the club’s new head coach for the upcoming Indian Super League (ISL) season and AFC Champions League campaign
- World Snooker champion Peter Ebdon has retired from the sport to avoid having to endure daunting spinal surgery.
- Commonwealth Youth Games 2021 rescheduled to 2023
- World Championships 2021 postponed to November-December, to be held in Carolina Marin Stadium Stadium in Huelva, Spain.
- FINA postpones 2021 Fukuoka world championships to May 2022. The 2021 World Aquatics Championships in Japan will now be held in 2022
- Egyptian tennis player Youssef Hossam follows brother in receiving life ban for match-fixing
- The World Rugby launched an online Women Coaching Rugby Toolkit aimed at assisting unions in increasing the number of female rugby coaches at every level of the game.
- Para-athlete Deepa Malik retires, to head India’s Paralympic Committee
- Remy Di Gregorio French cyclist banned for 4 years by International Cycling Union (UCI) until March 7, 2022, taking for blood-boosting hormone EPO (Erythropoietin)
- China won the inaugural FIDE Chess.com Online Nations Cup against the USA
- FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup, which India will be hosting, has been rescheduled to February 17 till March 7, 2021,
- World Snooker champion Peter Ebdon has retired from the sport to avoid having to endure daunting spinal surgery.
- The World Rugby launched an online Women Coaching Rugby Toolkit
- Sports Authority of India (SAI) has formed a six-member committee to prepare a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for a phased resumption of training across sporting disciplines at all the centres once the coronavirus-forced national lockdown is lifted. The six-member panel will be headed by SAI secretary Rohit Bharadwaj
- China won the inaugural FIDE Chess.com Online Nations Cup.
Science and Technology
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has renamed its next-generation space telescope “Wide-Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST)” in honour of Nancy Grace Roman.
- India’s first indigenous antibody testing kit “ELISA” has been successfully developed by the National Institute of Virology, Pune.
- An automated contactless UVC sanitisation cabinet named defense Research Ultraviolet Sanitiser (DRUVS) developed by DRDO’s Research Centre Imarat (RCI) lab, Hyderabad to sanitise electronic gadgets.
- An Ultra Violet (UV) Disinfection Tower has been developed by the Laser Science & Technology Centre (LASTEC) to achieve rapid and chemical-free disinfection of high infection-prone areas.
- The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, CSIR’s Scientific Instruments Organisation, Chandigarh(CSIR-CSIO) has developed an Electrostatic Disinfection Machine for disinfection.
- A microwave steriliser has been developed by the Defence Institute of Advanced Technology, Pune named as “ATULYA” to disintegrate COVID-19.
- Indian-origin girl, Vaneeza Rupani has been honoured by NASA for naming its 1st Mars helicopter ‘Ingenuity’.
- IIT Delhi startup launches ‘Reusable Antimicrobial Mask’.
- Russia plans to launch its first satellite to monitor Arctic climate in 2020.
- A new rocket named “Long March 5B” successfully launched China into space as it steps up Moon landing plans.
- A programme on health and risk communication ‘Year of Awareness on Science & Health (YASH)’ launched by National Council for Science & Technology Communication (NCSTC)with a focus on COVID-19.
- A brown dwarf Luhman 16A, discovered by a team of astronomers shows signs of cloud bands similar to those seen on Jupiter and Saturn.
- First indigenous antibody-based ELISA test kit – COaVID KAVACH developed by National Institute of Virology, Pune for diagnosis of Corona Virus.
- Two satellites successfully launched by China to test the space-based Internet of Things (IoT)communications technology.The satellites Xingyun-2 01 and 02, were launched by a Kuaizhou-1A (KZ-1A) carrier rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite LaunchCentre in northwest China.
- Italy develops ‘iFeel-You’ bracelet for social distancing.
- TVS Group, Sundaram Med & IIT-M develops automated respiratory assist device “Sundaram Ventago”.
Banking & Finance News
- Canara Bank has announced ‘CANARA CREDIT SUPPORT’ for all of its borrowers who have been affected by COVID-19.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) cut the repo rate by 40 basis points from 4.4 percent to 4 percent, reducing the reverse repo rate at 3.35 percent to maintain accommodative stance.
- ICICI Bank launches special FD scheme ‘ICICI Bank Golden Years FD’, for senior citizens an interest rate of 6.55 per annum for deposits up to 2 crores with tenure of more than five years to 10 years.
- Fino Payments Bank (FPB) is planning to partner with two-three non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) to source loans for them in rural areas.
- India’s first zero-contact video KYC savings account launched by Kotak Mahindra Bank.
- A Digital Health EMI Network Card launched by Bajaj Finance Limited to make medical expenses affordable.
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced Rs 1.63 lakh crore package for agriculture, fisheries, and allied activities, and paved the way for amendment of Essential Commodity Act and interstate trade for farmers.
- The license of The CKP Co-operative Bank Ltd., Mumbai to carry on banking business has been canceled by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) with effect from the close of business on April 30, 2020
- A customer engagement technology provider, Ameyo has launched video KYC engagement platform for the banking and finance sector
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved a loan worth of $500 million for India’s ‘COVID-19 Emergency.
- SBI General Insurance launched the standard health insurance policy – Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy to provides hospitalization cover anywhere in India with sums insured ranging from Rs. 1 lakh to Rs. 5 lakhs.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman launched INR-USD (Rupee-Dollar) Futures and Options contracts on the two International Exchanges, BSE’s India INX and NSE’s NSE-IFSC, at GIFT International Financial Services Centre in Gandhinagar through video conference.
- India gets USD 1 billion loans from BRICS’ New Development Bank to fight COVID-19
- Consumer Affairs department partners with 2 startups Safejob and Seekify to power ‘Suraksha Store initiative’.
- Money Gram Payment Systems has tied up with Federal Bank to offer a cost-effective direct-to-bank account credit option for customers in India.
- World Bank gives $1 billion as a social security fund for India’s urban poor and migrant workers during the coronavirus crisis.
- HDFC Bank releases a song titled #HumHaarNahiMaanenge (We will not lose) to keep up hopes amidst the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Suryoday Small Finance Bank has rolled out a working capital product with a small overdraft (OD) limit on a pilot basis in two branches Trichy (Tamil Nadu) and Cuttack (Odisha) to help its customers meet the urgent liquidity requirements during the lockdown.
- Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB) has launched an emergency loan facility for farmers. A maximum loan of up to Rs.50,000 will be provided to meet unforeseen expenses. It is repayable within a period of three years.
- SBI cuts benchmark lending rate by 15 basis points and introduced the Special Deposit Scheme for senior citizens with a higher interest rate. With that, the marginal cost of funds based lending rate comes down to 7.25 percent, from 7.40 percent with effect from the 10th of May.
|Ajay Kumar Tripathi||Politician|
|Ajit Jogi||First Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh|
|Ashley Cooper||Australian tennis player|
|Balbir Singh Dosanjh||Indian hockey player|
|Bhabani Charan Pattnaik||Freedom fighter|
|Bob Watson||American baseball player and Houston Astros legend|
|Chuni Goswami||Former India football captain|
|Dalit Ezhilmalai||Former Union Minister|
|Debesh Roy||Bengali author|
|Denis Goldberg||Veteran South African anti-apartheid activist|
|Gigi Simoni||Former Inter football coach of Italy|
|Hana Kimura||Wrestler of Japan|
|Hari Shankar Vasudevan||Historian|
|Hema Bharali||Freedom fighter|
|Jerry Stiller||US Comedian|
|Justice A.K. Tripathi||Judicial Member, Lokpal of India|
|Kazempour Ardebili||Iran’s governor of Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)|
|KS Nisar Ahmed||Kannada poet.
He was also known as “Nityotsava Kavi”.
|Manmeet Singh Walia||India table tennis player|
|Richard Wayne Pennima||Founding father of Rock|
|Mohit Baghel||Bollywood actor|
|Mujtaba Hussain||Urdu Writer|
|Nissar Ahmed||Kannada Poet, Writer|
|Pandanda Kuttappa||Founder of Kodava Family Hockey Tournament (KFH)|
|Raja Rangappa Naik||Former Lok Sabha MP|
|Ratnakar Matkari||Marathi Writer and Playwright|
|Rob Gibbs||Director, Story Artist and Writer|
|Ronald Vivian Smith||Writer , historian and columnist|
|Sai Gundewar||Bollywood actor|
|Shafique Ansari||TV series actor of ‘Crime Patrol’|
|Shanmugam||Tamil Nadu footballer and coach|
|Shyamala G Bhave||Vocalist, Classical musician|
Monthly Current Affairs 2020
- Israel has named a street in Tel Aviv after celebrated Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore as a tribute on his 159th birthday on 08 May.
- Former Supreme Court judge Justice A K Sikri has inaugurated the Indian Dispute Resolution Centre (IDRC), which provides a paperless dispute resolution environment.
- Slovenia becomes the first coronavirus-free country in Europe.
- Manipur black rice also called the Chak-Haom, Gorakhpur Terracotta, Kashmir saffron and Kadalai Mittai of Kovilpatti got Geographical Indication tag.
- The Sohrai Khovar painting of Jharkhand and Telia Rumal of Telangana got the Geographical Indication (GI) tag
- Facebook has launched a home-to-home fundraiser concert, ‘I For India’. Facebook has collaborated with some of the biggest stars in India and Bollywood for this.
- Chhattisgarh providing maximum jobs under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) amid the nationwide lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Visakhapatnam Gas Leak Tragedy: Styrene gas leaked from LG Polymers Plant in Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- Tamil Nadu government increases retirement age from 58 years to 59 years.
- Madhya Pradesh has become the first state in the country to provide mid-day meal ration.
- Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has inaugurated new 80-km road with the altitude rises from 6,000 to 17,060 feet in Uttarakhand to Kailash Mansarovar. Road link from Dharchula, Uttarakhand to Lipulekh at China Border. It originates from Ghatiabagarh to Lipulekh Pass, the gateway to Kailash-Mansarovar.
- 11 brands of Pan Masala banned in the state Jharkhand for one year.
- Prime Minister of India announces the Economic Package of Rs 20 Lakh Crore to ensure rural India from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced a special economic package worth 20 lakh crore rupees for an ‘Atma-Nirbhar Bharat’ or self-reliant India, saying that self-reliance is the only way to ensure that 21st Century belongs to India.
- The Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) has launched a new song ‘United We Fight’ To Strengthen India’s Fight Against COVID-19 to help people stay united and encourage them to think positive amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- The WHO and the United Nations postal agency have released a postage stamp on the 40th anniversary of the eradication of smallpox, with the head of the global health body expressing gratitude to a top Indian-origin UN official Mr. AtulKhare.
- Iran’s currency is set to get a new name and re-valued, lose four zeros. Iran’s money rial will soon likely be called the Toman, and an impressive four zeros.The 10,000 rials will become one Toman
- Maharashtra becomes the first state in the country to provide free and cashless insurance premium to people of the state Amid the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic. the state will be provided free health treatment under the Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Jan Aarogya Yojana.
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has announced an Economic Relief package of Rs 20 lakh crore for “Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan”.
- Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology (CIPET) has been renamed as Central Institute of Petrochemicals Engineering and Technology (CIPET), a premier national institution under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India
- Finance Minister launches free instant e-PAN card facilities through Aadhaar.
- The United States (US) has joined an international panel G7 artificial intelligence group for setting ethical guidelines for the use of artificial intelligence.
- President of the United States, Donald Trump announced that America is terminating its relationship with the World Health Organization(WHO).
- Centre reduces EPFO contributions from 12 % to 10 % from May to July 2020.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA) have released a commemorative Postage Stamp on the 40th anniversary of the eradication of smallpox.
- Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) will sell only indigenous products in their canteens across the country from 01 June 2020 to make the country self-reliant and use locally-made products.
- Indian Railways makes Aarogya Setu app mandatory for all passengers.
- “Thermal Corona Combat Headgear” launched by Delhi Police to detect the temperature of a large number of people from a distance of 10-15 meters.
- Cyclone Amphan intensified into a super cyclone with wind speed above 200 kmph hit West Bengal & Odisha and moved further towards North-Northeastwards over West Central Bay.
- Singer Lata Mangeskar sung a song titled as JAYTU BHARATAM saluting the spirit of Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
- Indian Railways operationalized its 1st 12,000 hp electric Locomotive- WAG12 with Number 60027. This Locomotive has manufactured by Madhepura Electric Loco Factory in Bihar.
- India has become the 2nd largest manufacturer of Personal Protective Equipment in the world following China which is currently leading producer of PPE in the world. A PPE kit consists of shoe cover, gloves, eye shield, mask, and gown.
- Mineral Laws (Amendment) Bill 2020 passed by Lok Sabha which aims to amend Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act, 1957 along with Coal Mines (Special Provisions) Act, 2015.
- USA withdraws from Open Skies treaty accusing that Russia has not stuck to its part of the deal.
- Andhra Pradesh government has released the 1st tranche of “ReStart Package” to help the lockdown-hit Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) to reopen and become functional.
- “Khudol” initiatives o Manipur has been listed among the top 10 global initiatives for an inclusive fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.