11th February 2019 Daily Current Affairs: Dear Students, Here is 11th February 2019 Daily important Current Affairs. 11th February observed as the International Day of Women and Girls in Science Surging Silk, Mega Event Held in New Delhi and 2019 Grammy Awards.
11th February observed as the International Day of Women and Girls in Science
- The United Nations (UN) General Assembly declared 11th February as the International Day of Women.
World Day of the Sick observed on 11th February
- 11th February is observed as the World Day of the Sick.
- It was initiated by Pope John Paul II in 1992 with an aim to encourage people to pray for those who suffer from ill and for their caregivers.
- World Day of the Sick was observed for the first time on 11th February 1993.
Surging Silk, Mega Event Held in New Delhi
On February 10, 2019, Surging Silk, Mega Event by Ministry of Textiles and Central Silk Board was held in New Delhi.
In this event, Buniyaad Tasar Silk Reeling Machines distributed to women rulers from tribal areas, to eradicate the age-old practice of thigh reeling by the end of March 2020.
- A mobile application e-cocoon was launched during this event to check the quality of silkworm seeds.
India is the second largest producer of silk after China and the largest consumer of silk.
Meghalaya government to rename Dikki Bandi stadium after P A Sangma
On February 9, 2019, The Meghalaya Cabinet decided to rename the Dikki Bandi Stadium in Tura town after former Lok Sabha Speaker Purno A Sangma.
2019 Grammy Awards:
On 10th February 2019, The 61st Annual Grammy Awards Ceremony to recognize the best recording, compositions and artists of the eligibility year (1st October 2017 to 30th September 2018) was held at Staples Center in Los Angeles, USA.
- Childish Gambino and Kacey Musgraves won the most awards.
- On 8th February 2019, Dolly Parton was conferred with the ”MusiCares Person of the Year”.
- For the first time, both “Song of the Year” and “Record of the year” was awarded to a rap song,
Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi elected as the new chair of African Union
Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi on February 10, 2019, took over as the chair of the African Union (AU) following a meeting by heads of state from the continent in Ethiopia’s capital city, Addis Ababa.
SC directs NCM to decide on redefining ‘Minority’
- The Supreme Court on February 11, 2019, directed the National Commission for Minorities (NCM) to take a decision within three months on a representation seeking guidelines to redefine the term ‘Minority’.
- PM Modi launches dedicated 24×7 satellite channel ‘DD Arunprabha’ for Arunachal Pradesh
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on February 9, 2019 launched a dedicated 24×7 Satellite channel.
- ‘DD Arunprabha’ for Arunachal Pradesh during his visit to Arunachal Pradesh.
PM Modi’s visit to Hubli, Karnataka
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited of his one-day long tour to Andhra Pradesh, TamilNadu, and Karnataka.
• He unveiled a plaque to mark the laying of the foundation stone of Indian Institute of Technology – Dharwad and Indian Institute of Information Technology – Dharwad.
• City Gas Distribution Project at Dharwad was dedicated to the nation.
• To ensure Energy Security, 1.5 MMT Mangalore Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) facility and 2.5 MMT Padur SPR facility of ISPRL were also dedicated to the nation.
• The Doubling of 18 km long Chikjajur-Mayakonda Section was dedicated to the nation.
• He witnessed the e-Griha Pravesh of 2350 houses constructed under PMAY(U) at Dharwad.
PM visits Assam, lays foundation stone of North East Gas Grid
• PM visited Assam as a part of his visit to Arunachal, Assam, and Tripura.
• He laid a foundation stone for North East Gas Grid which will ensure uninterrupted availability of natural gas across the region and boost industrial growth in the region.
• He inaugurated Hollong Modular Gas Processing Plant in Tinsukia which will deliver 15% of the total gas produced in Assam.
• PM inaugurated LPG Capacity Augmentation of Mounted Storage Vessel in North Guwahati.
• The foundation stone of NRL Bio-Refinery at Numaligarh and a 729 km gas pipeline from Barauni – Guwahati passing through Bihar, West Bengal, Sikkim & Assam was also laid by PM.
• PM laid the foundation stone of a six-lane bridge over river Brahmaputra.
Sapta Shakti Command of Indian Army conducts ‘Exercise Rahat’ in Jaipur
• In Rajasthan, Jaipur based Sapta Shakti Command of Indian Army conducted a two- day Joint Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief Exercise “Exercise Rahat”.
• It involves all stakeholders at the national and state level.
• This was the eighth such exercise conducted by the Indian Defence Forces.
• The exercise was conducted in pursuance of the directions of Prime Minister Narendra Modi during Combined Commanders Conference – 2015 to achieve ‘Disaster Resilient India’.